Sunday, January 17, 2010

This has been one of the most stressful weekends I have had in a long time.  It started off great on Friday, I was really productive at work that morning and then I got to have lunch with one of my very best friends that I hardly ever get to see.  Then it just started going downhill from there and it really hasn't let up yet.

SO here it is.....this effing recession, or whatever they are calling it now, has hit TOO CLOSE to home for me.  Thankfully my husband and I both still have our jobs.  We still struggle to make it though, as I think most people in this town do.  I see my parents struggle every day to pay the bills, and my mom confides a lot in me about their situation.  The ONLY reason they have been making ends meet for the past nine years is because of my mom's second job -- which she found out she would be losing.  And this was not a piddly job where she just made a few bucks a night -- she worked one night a week and at the end of the month she made as much as she did at her full-time job.  She has always told me that if she ever lost this job, then she didn't know how they would make it.  Their house payment depends on this job -- that is pretty serious.

My family is now in a situation that we never thought we would be in.  We looked at other families struggling to get by and we felt for them, but were just thankful that it wasn't us.  I no longer live with my parents, and if I chose to (and had no heart) I could probably go on unnaffected by this.  But at the end of the day they are my world and I can't sit around and watch them give up everything they have worked so hard for.  And my parents work SO hard -- and now they will probably have to work until the day they die.  It is just not right.

My mom has such a big heart and she can't stand to see a family go without.  This past Christmas, she was so worried about one of her co-workers -- this lady was not going to be able to have ANYTHING to give her kids for Christmas.  My mom, being the sweet caring lady that she is, went out and bought gifts for the whole family.  She wanted to make sure this family had a good Christmas.  And it wasn't a move to get attention -- she bought the gifts, gave them to her co-worker, and the kids never knew that they came from my mom.  My parents never hesitate to tithe at church or give to a family in need.  My mom has written I don't know how many checks to families that needed the money. 

It is just so unfair that things like this always happen to the most honest and hard-working people.  And here I sit whining and crying over it, but I know my parents aren't doing that.  I guarantee my mom will be out in town looking for another job tomorrow -- she will go to Wal-Mart and work nights if she has to.  They will find a way to make ends meet just like they always have and I bet you a dollar she will still give to others even when she clearly doesn't have it to give.

On a happier note, I just caught up on American Idol and FINALLY saw the "Pants On the Ground" guy -- PRICELESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment