Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Carry on a tradition

I have just made a decision!!  And if you know me, then you know how indecisive I can be, so go me!  Anyway, I have decided that I am going to learn how to quilt.  This is something that I have been saying for a lot of years now, but this time I really mean it!  I desperately want to be a mom, and because of this I am constantly looking at baby things online.  I have also had a recent obsession with Eric Carle books.  I am not sure what came over me, but I cannot stop thinking about how awesome they are!  So, as a result of these two things, I came across possibly the cutest quilt ever on Etsy......
 

Cute right?  The price tag is $200, which sorry but I would not spend that on a quilt made by a stranger!  SO I figure I will learn to quilt -- and make it myself -- well I will change some things around, but I love the idea of it! 

Plus I figure this will give me a great opportunity to spend more time with my 89 year old grandmother -- she has made HUNDREDS of quilts over her lifetime.  I mean she really puts her whole heart and soul into them.  Every one is 100% hand stitched -- she doesn't even own a sewing machine!  She has made three for me -- a baby quilt when I was born, a quilt when I turned 16, and a quilt when I got married.  I absolutely CHERISH these quilts and I seriously would not take a million dollars for them, I love them so much.  I just know how much love and time she puts into her quilts and it really is an honor to be the recipient of one.  When I got the quilt she made us for our wedding, I immediately burst into tears -- it was that special to me.  Actually I am getting emotional just typing this!  I definitely regret that I did not do this earlier, and I don't want to waste another minute without learning this from her.  How special will it be to my child when I tell them that their mom and great-grandmother made this quilt especially for them?  I hope it is something that they will love and cherish for a lifetime.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment